Monday, March 10, 2014

Ties That Bind...

Don't worry, this blog definitely isn't about Chinese foot-binding, if you got the reference I made... If you didn't, don't worry about it.  This week's topic is book binding, which is a much more logical subject to discuss given this blog's content.

This is another instance of my book not being out-of-the-ordinary in terms of how it was created.  The standard binding method for commercial production is Case Binding, which Champion features.  It implements signatures, which are groups of pages that are sewn together,  which are then combined into what is called a "textblock".  The process gets its name from the "case" that the pages are then glued to, which is cardboard covered in paper, in the case (no pun intended) of my book. 
 Last Spring, in my Typography class, I tried to replicate this method, but I had all loose pages, which didn't allow for signatures, plus I didn't really get how to make a signature.  So I did my best to do the same process but simply gluing the pages to the case.  It actually worked quite well and definitely stayed together.  The only issues I came across were the glue bleeding through the end-papers where I put it on too thick.  Sadly, I don't have any images of this piece to show.

There are a few other processes for binding books that are used today, albeit less than Case Binding.  One method that perhaps would have been more suitable to my Typography book is Oversewing, which uses loose pages that are then clamped together before being sewn.  However, even if I'd had a clamp to use, Oversewing results in the book not lying flat when opened, which wasn't conducive to my needs. 

Essentially, I somehow manages to combine the binding processes for hardcover and paperback books in creating my piece, as paperback books are simple glued together after being carefully stacked.  This flexible layer holds the book together while maintaining plenty of ability to read with ease.  

What's crazy is that, in all these words, I've talked about only three different methods.  Well, let's say three and a half to include my make-shift original binding.  But there are still so many different ways that books can be bound.  There's a fascinating amount of possibilities, and I urge you to explore them.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookbinding#Hardcover_binding

http://printwiki.org/Case_Binding
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiWbcriODmntE-UQtP98v5A_fLIHwrm9rGpFGi4KQm37CkluTXPxcjdAQy1rFJykBRC5_7Mm4SXG8gSL-remIa7ob3aYcNyA4WJgaWmckXp0PiOKtw_FLu_voqSv9tlsEPqaUwxAlEVXvE/s1600/bookbinding.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment